Hernias are abnormal protrusions of an internal organ through the tissue or muscle holding it in place. They affect both men and women but are more prominent in men. Hernias mainly develop in the abdomen, groin, belly button, hips, chest, or upper thighs. They are mostly painless and harmless, but often at times, they can cause discomfort and pain. To relieve pain and symptoms caused by hernias, you can contact some of the best hernias Sebring specialists who will provide the proper diagnosis and treatment plan. Let us explore more on hernia, its causes, and the best treatment options.
What causes hernias?
Hernias are caused mainly by weak muscles of physical strain, particularly from lifting heavy objects. Also, age contributes to the development of hernias, particularly in those around 50 and above. Other factors that can lead to the development of hernias include:
- Damage from an injury
- Chronic constipation and coughs
- Genetics, having a family history of hernias
If not treated and repaired, hernias might develop quickly within just a short time and lead to other life-threatening complications.
The most common and noticeable hernia symptom is a bulge in the affected area, which is often more visible when standing, coughing, or bending down. You may also feel pain and discomfort, burning sensations, and weakness in the affected area and around the bulge or lump. Some hernias can also lead to more severe symptoms such as vomiting, heartburn, chest pain, and nausea.
What are the most common forms of hernias?
There are various forms or types of hernias, but the Inguinal and the hiatal hernia are the most common among people of all ages, including children. Other forms of hernias include umbilical, ventral, incisional, femoral hernias, etc. Let us discuss the most common types of hernias.
- Inguinal hernias: The most common type of hernia occurs when the intestines bulge through a tear in the lower abdominal muscles and tissues. Inguinal hernias are primarily common in men since the spermatic cord passes through the inguinal canal. This spermatic cord then attaches to the testicles and forms a lump.
- Hiatal hernias: This type of hernia is more common among people aged 50 and above. It occurs when part of the stomach protrudes into the chest cavity through an opening on the diaphragm. Hiatal hernias are caused mainly by gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- An umbilical hernia occurs when part of the intestines or the fatty tissues around the abdomen pushes through the navel, forming a bulge.
How are hernias treated?
Hernias can be prevented by maintaining a healthy weight. Having a healthy weight reduces the pressure on the internal organs caused by being overweight. Once you develop a hernia, your doctor might advise you to lose some weight before surgery to reduce the risk of a potential complication.
Other hernia treatments are surgical procedures such as robotic hernia surgery and open and laparoscopic surgeries. Robotic surgery is recommended for inguinal, ventral, umbilical, incisional, and Hiatal hernias.
If you notice a bulge or lump on your lower abdomen, groin, or belly button, do not hesitate to call Florida Lakes Surgical. At Florida Lakes Surgical, you will receive the best compassionate surgical care treatments for your hernia condition. You can request an appointment online or call their offices through their office number on their website.